MIPS Eligible Clinicians (ECs) have until December 1, 2017 to choose to participate in the 2018 performance period as a virtual group.
A virtual group is a combination of two or more Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TINs) made up of:
- A solo practitioner who’s eligible to participate in MIPS and bills under a TIN with no other National Provider Identifiers (NPIs) billing under the TIN, OR
- A group with 10 or fewer eligible clinicians (at least 1 must be eligible for MIPS) that joins with at least 1 other solo practitioner or group for a performance period of a year.
To form a virtual group for the 2018 performance period, solo practitioners and/or groups must engage in an election process that CMS has defined as:
- A written formal agreement between each of the virtual group members
- Information about the TIN and NPI associated with the virtual group representative’s contact information
- The virtual group must name an official representative who will submit their election to CMS via email to MIPS_VirtualGroups@cms.hhs.gov by December 1, 2017
For more information about joining or forming virtual groups, see the CMS’ Virtual Groups Toolkit.